Oh man, I am really feeling it now. For the first time today, discouragement... I almost have the scrapbook room cleaned out. I sold the furniture out of it today and it felt strangely good! Now that it's gone, I can't fill it back up. I am allowing myself two small shelf units and a teeny, tiny linen closet in the new place to store scrapbooks, supplies and photos. Those that know me well may have seen the huge shelf unit in the garage where all of my extra albums and photos and memorabilia are stored... This is in addition to the room full of supplies and the shelves full of albums in the living room. Downsizing all of this is a REALLY BIG deal! I mean, I'm ready to do it. I just honestly didn't realize how much I have and it really hit me pretty hard today.
Tonight, I decided to tackle my cake making supplies. Big mistake! My goal was to organize it better in an effort to conserve space. There is precious little space in the new kitchen. I had resigned myself to that, but when I actually pulled the cake stuff out of the nooks and crannies where I had it stored around my currently gigantic kitchen and got it all out in one place, my heart stopped for a second. I had NO IDEA I had this much stuff. Now what do I do??? I couldn't find one single thing I wanted to part with. Damn!!! There's not room to keep it all but nothing I want to get rid of. I'm really frustrated, so I'll move on for now. Maybe after I sleep on it I'll feel better.
Tomorrow the estate service will be here to meet with me about having them facilitate the sale of the things we aren't taking with us (Which is most of it!). If we use their service, we can move out and take what we want with us, leaving everything behind that we don't want. They sell what they can, donate what they can't, clean the house and cut us a check. Sounds guilt free to me! I don't know how much they will charge, I'm pretty sure it's commission based. I also don't know if what we have will be worth their while. I guess I will find out tomorrow. One problem with using the estate service is that right now, I am using money I am getting from selling what we have to pay for furnishing the new place. If I use their service, I'll have to wait for one big check instead of a little here and a little there. I have waffled back and forth about whether to do this myself or to use them. I think using their service would be the best emotional route to take. Of course doing it myself means I don't have to pay them, so more money in my pocket to make the new place wonderful. Hmmm....
Decisions, Decisions!
I can't imagine you'd wouldn't feel relief having the estate service do it. Not to mention if you have to wait a bit make the new place wonderful you have a bit more time to figure out what you're going to do or buy while still keeping it simple.
ReplyDeleteAmy - I totally realize how huge down-sizing your scrapbook room, etc is. I know you're passionate about it, but you are more so about your family! We all have places we can simplify (Ben once counted all my apple things at 176...but I contain them to the kitchen!) And truly, if you need my help, call! Lord knows I've helped with your garage a time or two!
ReplyDelete